KMHD & I spent Friday evening arranging and organizing the porch for the yard sale the next day. BTW, it is a lot of work. I wouldn't want to do it with anyone else; we work well together. It is a lot of work and I'm glad that I had someone who cut the crap and kicked out the jams, you know? Our preparedness paid off and made for an easy and successful yard sale.
Too bad you can't see the fine porch set-up:

KMHD's artful clothes arrangement. Great use of bushes and crepe myrtle!:

Every sale has one!

I sold my Vespa, a bitter-sweet moment. Good-bye, au revoir!

Yard sales. They're hilarious. We started at 8:00 a.m., which is not THAT early in the yard sale universe, but as soon as 8:00 rolled around, we had some folks show up. We always find it amazing what sells and what doesn't. KMHD sold a freaking used eye patch! What?! And why? I'm somewhat disappointed that no one even looked at my golf clubs or my cute little cupcake stand. KMHD says that yard sales are the ultimate examination of anthropology. Nothing can explain the whys of what people buy & don't buy, though. Madness. Too, those buyers made us work so hard! We had to move heavy furniture and plug things in to show that they worked and pack things into car trunks and find string so we can tie their trunk hoods down, etc. etc. Ridic.
Our hours were 8:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m., but people kept showing past 2:00. We had to have the fellas sit and watch the sale while we pulled down the signs, so people would stop coming. After we 'closed', we put some stuff to the curb (which disappeared) and piled the leftovers neatly on a table on the porch. Some lady that I communicated with on craigslist picked up all of our leftovers, so we didn't even have to haul anything away.
Yay to being rid of junk, making some cabbage, AND not having to do some manual labor. End of ACT I.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As soon as we were done with the sale, I hopped into the shower and then scrapped together a set list to play @ the Eclipse Glasses/Arkansas Queen show. Not an easy task, I was buggin'! Especially since I decided that I was going to play nothing akin to what ATM and Kyle play. I had my Yo La Tengo, I had my R.E.M. and Sonic Youth. What else? WHAT ELSE? I had an hour to figure it out before we met ATM's folks for supper.
A little while later, they met us at the house. After the hellos & hugs, we drove over to look @ a house that we have our eye on. I won't really get into the details, but it's a great place. After that, we dined @ Whole Hog BBQ, which is still the best BBQ IMO. They did not fail to deliver. After that, we had to get ready for the show. On a boat. On a boat! How exciting! We said our "See you laters" to the 'rents & packed and practiced and loaded and unloaded, etc. Man, this day. Action-packed. I felt like I had already experienced two days crammed into one. Because it felt like only 5 minutes passed before we were boarding the Arkansas Queen & getting ready for the show. Earlier that day, ATM got a text from Lorenza that said that we sold all of our tickets & that the reservation line was ringing off the hook. Also, he got calls from people frantically searching for a ticket. Which makes my being worried hilarious, I guess. I was worried that not a lot of people would show because $15 is a lot to ask of our friends & family. Thankfully, I was really wrong. We sold out & the AQ crew allowed 50 more.
I didn't think to/didn't have time to take a lot of photos. I did get a few snapshots with just me, ATM & Kyle before folks boarded.







What an incredible show! There were SO MANY people. Lots of lovely friends, pretty ladies, handsome men & proud parents. After people boarded, I never left the top deck. It was a little muggy, but once we set sail, it was breezy & cool. I had the privilege of DJing while Eclipse Glasses played. It was just the way I wanted it - not too many people, mostly folks just coming up for a smoke or to talk on their cell phone. It has been years since I 'hit the decks', so I wanted a small, inattentive crowd. I do love my lady friends who hung out. I heard that EG did well, which does not surprise me. All in all, it was a great trip. And it's so nice to see both LR/NLR's 'backside' from the river at night. I do want to call out some folks for throwing cigarette butts into the river, but I only know one by name...COLLIN! ! I saw what you did! Tsk tsk! For shame! I try not to finger wag, but come ON!
We did not get to bed until about 3:30. Amazingly, I couldn't fall asleep. We had to unwind by watching infomercials for smooth grooves to turn off the brain.
The next day, we met ATM's parents for lunch & did a bit of shopping. I need shorts, but the stores have already switched from summer to fall apparel, so I may be out of luck. Before they took off, ATM's mother gave us a beautiful china set that belonged to ATM's gran. It's so classic & beautiful, I can't believe they are ours! I feel like we got the best house-warming gift early. Now, if only we can get the house.

List-making started yesterday. Checking things off that list begins this eve. The beach is within' reach!
Extras!
From our camping trip last weekend, here is the view from our tent:

Uh oh! Someone didn't just leave foot prints!

3 comments:
dang boy scouts!
I only have eyes for you when it comes to crap like that. My current resale philosophy is whatever you think, throw it out of the window. People are inherent freaks and some are more than willing to show you.
And I quoth Tyler Durden: The things you own end up owning you. Not us! Thanks, craigslist.
The AQ/EC show. Words are utterly useless in describing the amazing night I had. I'm pretty sure the general consensus was AWESOME. & anyone who didn't have a good time should have jumped overboard cos they're miserable. j/k
Adios, PP. I had fun riding on the back of you. & gross to the lube evidence.
Make that AQ/EG. Also, congratulations on the lovely china.
Post a Comment